[rancid] Cisco - who made change

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 17:57:37 UTC 2016

On 3/21/16, nachofw <nachofw at adinet.com.uy> wrote:
> Hi, i wanted to make a suggestion.When someone makes a change in a cisco
> router to take into account the line "last configuration change at *** by
> user ***".But only make a new version if the config chaged, and send in the
> mail with the diff and the user that made the change.I know some people dont
> agree that this is the best way. Still can this feature be optional?Regards

It's easy enough to get the "last configuration change at ***" line
included - just comment out the line(s) that ignore them - ie

/source/rancid-3.4.1/bin
$ grep -i "last c" *
cat5rancid:     /^! (Last configuration|NVRAM config last)/ && next;
cat5rancid.in:  /^! (Last configuration|NVRAM config last)/ && next;
cssrancid:      /^! (Last configuration|NVRAM config last)/ && next;
cssrancid.in:   /^! (Last configuration|NVRAM config last)/ && next;
prancid:        /^! Last Changed:/ && next;
prancid.in:     /^! Last Changed:/ && next;
rrancid:        /^!  Configuration last changed by user / && next;
rrancid.in:     /^!  Configuration last changed by user / && next;
zrancid:        /^! Last Changed:/ && next;
zrancid.in:     /^! Last Changed:/ && next;

/source/rancid-3.4.1/lib
$ grep -i "last c" *
acos.pm:        next if (/Last configuration saved/);
acos.pm.in:        next if (/Last configuration saved/);
ios.pm: /^! (Last configuration|NVRAM config last)/ && next;
ios.pm.in:      /^! (Last configuration|NVRAM config last)/ && next;
iosxr.pm:       /^! (Last configuration|NVRAM config last)/ && next;
iosxr.pm.in:    /^! (Last configuration|NVRAM config last)/ && next;

I haven't tried it, but you can probably suppress the config change
email if the only thing that changed was the "last config" line by
changing the diff call to also specify  -I 'Last config'

Regards,
Lee