[rancid] Nexus 1000v switch-router

Charles T. Brooks Charles.Brooks at hbcs.org
Thu Jun 30 16:59:05 UTC 2016

Well, it works with device-type cisco, but not with device-type cisco-nx, so I'm pretty sure the transport layer is fine.

When you use device-type cisco with an NX-os device like a Nexus switch, each time a port is assigned you will get a great deal of spurious output.  This is because the NX-os devices report VLAN configurations like this:

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports
---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
1    default                          active
100  VLAN0100                         active    Po3, Po4, Po5, Po6, Po7, Po8
                                                Veth1, Veth2, Veth4, Veth7
                                                Veth9, Veth10, Veth13, Veth14
                                                Veth15, Veth16, Veth17, Veth18
                                                Veth21, Veth22, Veth23, Veth24
                                                Veth25, Veth26, Veth29, Veth30
                                                (etc. to arbitrary number of ports)

If, in the example above, I delete virtual ethernet port #2 (Veth2) it will cause changes in roughly 24 lines, because NX-os will rejigger every single line for this vlan by "bumping up" the ports into the four-ports per line form.  Does that make sense?  Anyway, somebody moves one or two ports, and instead of getting the actual one or two line config change I get 40 or fifty lines of noise emailed to all the netadmins.

The cisco-nx device type addresses this problem (although frankly I don't know how;  I suspect it just doesn't do a "show vlan" command).

--Charlie