[rancid] rancid git setup question

Dan Weintraub Dan.Weintraub at dealer.com
Fri Feb 5 22:28:31 UTC 2016

Hi,

I’m a first time user having a question about making rancid work with git. I’m on CentOS 7 with rancid 3.3.0, perl v5.16.3, and git 1.8.3.1.

I read that "no attempt will be made to create the repository when running rancid-cvs” so I cloned my empty git repo into the rancid $BASEDIR and pointed at it in the rancid.conf:

CVSROOT=$BASEDIR/rancid-backups/; export CVSROOT

I then ran rancid-cvs, but I don’t understand the behavior. I would expect it to prepare the CVSROOT, but it made a new folder and repo named after my sole group. It then made a new folder in my intended git repo ($CVSROOT), with my group name, but it looks like a .git directory:

[rancid at rancid rancid-backups]$ ls -al
total 20
drwxr-x--- 7 rancid rancid 4096 Feb  5 22:01 myGroup
drwxr-xr-x 8 rancid rancid 4096 Feb  5 22:01 .git
-rw-r--r-- 1 rancid rancid   60 Feb  5 22:01 README.md
[rancid at rancid rancid-backups]$ ls -al myGroup/
total 40
drwxr-x---  2 rancid rancid 4096 Feb  5 22:01 branches
-rw-r-----  1 rancid rancid   66 Feb  5 22:01 config
-rw-r-----  1 rancid rancid   73 Feb  5 22:01 description
-rw-r-----  1 rancid rancid   23 Feb  5 22:01 HEAD
drwxr-x---  2 rancid rancid 4096 Feb  5 22:01 hooks
drwxr-x---  2 rancid rancid 4096 Feb  5 22:01 info
drwxr-x--- 11 rancid rancid 4096 Feb  5 22:01 objects
drwxr-x---  4 rancid rancid 4096 Feb  5 22:01 refs

When I run rancid-run, it puts the config files in the myGroup directory of the BASEDIR, but it also seems to touch some objects in the myGroup .git directory.

I then thought that I would only use the repo generated my rancid-cvs, so I put the CVSROOT back to default and tried again. It still makes a $CVSROOT/myGroup directory that doesn’t seem to make sense. I would appreciate it if someone could explain what’s going on or recommend some good documentation on getting rancid and git set up.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan Weintraub | Systems Engineer
V: 877.327.8422 x