[rancid] rancid - Cisco WLC devices

on at LEFerguson.com on at LEFerguson.com
Fri Dec 2 18:31:52 UTC 2016

> Can I just install this over the current version that I have running. I set this up through the package in Ubuntu. It took me a really long time to get all this working as a am a newbie with this. I am currently on version 3.3.0.

I just wanted to think you for bringing this up and the answers.  I didn't even bother trying the WLC's as they are so weird, but after a bit of digging (magic name for me was cisco-wlc5, there's also a 4) it seemed to work perfectly.  I found I also needed "noenable" defined for these, not sure if that's our setup or normal.

But having done that it all worked perfectly.

To the OP, if the distros are out of date (and it looks as though they are), you might look at just building it yourself.  While the paths will end up differently, this is about all it takes on Ubuntu to get a working config built from source.  DO NOT JUST DO THIS on a working system as the paths change, and any existing rancid will be separate and trying to run at the same time, perhaps.  I just offer this as sometimes "build from source" sounds so ominous, but it's not here.  This presumes you have the required libraries, which you should have most of with a distro package installed.  I don't have a rancid only list as I have so many other items installed, or I would share it.

wget ftp://ftp.shrubbery.net/pub/rancid/rancid-3.5.1.tar.gz
tar -zxvf rancid-3.5.1.tar.gz
cd rancid-3.5.1
./configure --prefix=/home/rancid --localstatedir=/home/rancid/var/rancid
make install

You could play with the configs, as mentioned, and probably get them to build over the same paths.  With the above I think you need to change the rancid's account's PATH also to include the new bin directory this creates.

But if you have a system you can experiment on, you can keep it more up to date with building it yourself, without a lot of trouble.

Thanks.

Linwood