[rancid] Upgrading to 3.4

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Sat Apr 2 15:45:47 UTC 2016

Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 02:18:35PM +0000, Chris Davis:
> I was hoping to upgrade to 3.4 but have run into a series of problems.  Wondering how others moved past this.
>
> Initially, I was running 2.38 on Centos 5.  I tried to in place upgrade and ran into a socket library problem.  Saw that the version of the socket library in Centos 7 was compatible, so then began to focus on installing that on my hardware.  Unfortunately, the controller driver appears to be no longer supported.  So, then I started focusing on a VM for my Rancid server.  Got it all set up and installed on a Hyper-V host.  And while the networking worked during the install, apparently the network drivers aren't right on the virtual disk and none of the networking works once I boot off the virtual HD.  So, has anyone set up Rancid 3.4/Centos 7 on a hyper V host?  Or have any other ideas to try?

I can't offer anything for centos5.  6 & 7 work fine on vmware, but 6
requires a more recent perl Socket module.

I'm thinking that a rancid docker container might be an option to avoid this
problem of the various linux only offering old packages and may help with
rancid installation by folks who are less unix (or linux) savy.  I'm not
sure if maintaining that will be too much burden.  Requires more thought.