[rancid] rancid not completely reading config on cisco

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 06:47:01 UTC 2016

On 02/04/2016 00:20, Jessica Cohen wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Recently one of my groups has starting having an issue where it doesn’t
> seem to completely read the config of the cisco switches it’s polling.
> Consequently, rancid reports constant changes even though there aren’t
> any. It will only show half the config then on the next poll the full
> config. I’m checking every 12 cisco switches every 5 minutes. None of
> the 40 other groups are having this issue. I’ve googled but I’m not
> having any luck. Suggestions?

There is seldom an FAQ-style answer for questions like this; your only
real option is to examine closely what output your switches are giving
and what rancid is doing with that output. It seems to be exiting early,
and the reason with be in what the switch sends back.

Manually run the rancid script against the problematic switch in debug
mode (IIRC it's the -d switch) and closely examine what's going on at
the end. Comapre with a good debug run and find differences.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com