[rancid] mtlogin error: Error TIMEOUT reached (2.3.8 deb)

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 13:09:54 UTC 2015

On 26/03/15 11:24, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 26/03/2015 13:15, Lukasz Sokol wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How can I debug, what's given to expect as timeout during rancid-run ?

[...]
> This is a common problem, and there's no easy way to solve it.
> Basically, mtrancid is scanning the output from the device line by line,
> expecting to find the router's cli prompt followed by a command run. It
> then processes the entire output until it finds the next prompt.
>
> This works well until mtrancid gets some input it's not expecting, or
> the input stops for whatever reason. rancid itself is in no position to
> figure out what the problem is, so the closest you get is the "End of
> run not found" message. Which essentially means "something went wrong",
> no more and no less.
>
> mtrancid -d <device name or ip>
>
> usually gives enough info to figure out what is really going wrong

mmm...
(please note I'm on debian and done sudo su - rancid to run this from command line: )

rancid at george:~$ PATH=$PATH:~/bin; mtrancid -d myrouter

// had to add ~/bin to path otherwise mtrancid would not find mtlogin; but this probably is by design.
// the below is mtrancid -d output:

executing mtlogin -t 120 -c"system package print detail without-paging;system routerboard print;system license print;export" myrouter

PROMPT MATCH: ] >
HIT COMMAND:[myuser at myrouter] > system package print detail without-paging
    In SystemPackagePrintDetail: [myuser at myrouter] > system package print detail without-paging
HIT COMMAND:[myuser at myrouter] > system routerboard print
    In SystemRouterboardPrint: [myuser at myrouter] > system routerboard print
HIT COMMAND:[myuser at myrouter] > system license print
    In SystemLicensePrint: [myuser at myrouter] > system license print
HIT COMMAND:[myuser at myrouter] > export
    In Export: [myuser at myrouter] > export
[waited here for a while and then ...]
rancid at george:~$

this just exited, _no_error_.

but also no logs and not a sign of what it was doing...

?!
el es