[rancid] Merging rancid-git with mainline rancid

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Wed Mar 18 22:33:11 UTC 2015

Hi,

For a few years now, I've been running a separate patch tree for the git
work Jeff Ollie once did. I've accepted a few patches into it for different
functionality, but ultimately I've been trying to get people to submit
these patches to upstream (i.e. here). Very few (if any) actually did.

Now that we have git support in the mainline release, I'd like to try and
re-integrate those patches back upstream... Except there's a big problem:

rancid-git currently does one repo per install.

rancid currently does one repo per group.

Clearly, the rancid (upstream) way is a consistent, proper way to do it.
Therefore I'm planning on writing some kind of migration tool which will
re-write a history. Would that be interesting to people?

Also, John Heasley -- there's a few patches in my branch that might be
interesting to you (pfsense support, fixes for modern F5 etc), would you
prefer patch sets of "one per feature" to be submitted, or just one big
patch set? Feel free to reject anything you don't like.

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew Walster
aka https://github.com/dotwaffle/rancid-git
aka "the git that was running a fork he barely maintained"