[rancid] CentOS 6.6, recent upgrade, now all CatOS devices broken

Joseph Bernard jhb at clemson.edu
Sun Jun 14 16:42:13 UTC 2015

What version were you using previously?

Thanks,
Joseph B.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rancid-discuss [mailto:rancid-discuss-bounces at shrubbery.net] On Behalf Of Brooks Bridges
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2015 12:51 AM
To: rancid-discuss at shrubbery.net
Subject: [rancid] CentOS 6.6, recent upgrade, now all CatOS devices broken

Had a system with Rancid installed from the EPEL repos.  All switches were configured and everything worked great.  Someone ran a yum update on the system yesterday, and it upgraded the package to "rancid-3.2-1.el6.x86_64", which broke all kinds of crap.

The first indication was the Socket module bug, which I got corrected, however now all CatOS devices in the network are "down" and cannot get the configs pulled from them.  After adding a bit of debugging, the logs
show:

smfits1.domain.com: missed cmd(s): write term all,show port ifindex,show module,dir sup-microcode:,dir sup-bootflash:,dir bootflash:,dir slot0:,show flash,show running-config,write term,show boot,dir slot1:,show inventory raw
smfits1.domain.com - Clean_run is: 0    <--- added debugging statement
smfits1.domain.com - found_end is: 0    <--- added debugging statement
smfits1.domain.com: End of run not found

After many hours of digging, I've determined that the issue appears to be that clogin is not properly recognizing the end of the output of the commands.  Debug log is attached showing this behavior when running "show version", where it gets to the end of the output from the command and then just hangs there.  It appears that none of the regexes are being matched when the command prompt pops back up after the command completes (perhaps it's only looking for a 'more' prompt?).

Since the FTP site still doesn't let you download anything from the .old directory (and doesn't show any indication that it's going to be fixed anytime soon) I can't get my hands on the old version to compare it against.  My lack of perl, tcl, and expect skills are quite an obstacle here as well.

Any pointers in how to hammer this thing back into submission?

--
-Brooks Bridges