[rancid] hlogin timing out

Jim P jabbyjim at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 15:49:47 UTC 2015

I have narrowed down my recent issues to that I really believe I'm having
an HP specific issue. Its driving me bonkers and I hope I'm not doing the
same for the mailing list.

trying to run this off of a test HP 2650

When I run this:

./clogin -c "show ver" 10.10.0.99
[rancid at localhost bin]$ ./clogin -c "show ver" 10.10.0.99
10.10.0.99
spawn telnet 10.10.0.99
Trying 10.10.0.99...
Connected to 10.10.0.99.
Escape character is '^]'.
ProCurve J4899B Switch 2650
Software revision H.10.115
Copyright (C) 1991-2014 Hewlett-Packard Co.  All Rights Reserved.

                           RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND

 Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to
restrictions
 as set forth in subdivision (b) (3) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data
and
 Computer Software clause at 52.227-7013.

         HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY, 3000 Hanover St., Palo Alto, CA 94303

Press any key to continue
Password:

TEST-SWITCH99#
TEST-SWITCH99# terminal length 0
Invalid input: 0
TEST-SWITCH99#
Error: TIMEOUT reached

it does much better than if I do the following (which just sort of locks up
the screen)

./hlogin -c "show ver" 10.10.0.99

10.10.0.99
spawn hpuifilter -- telnet 10.10.0.99
Trying 10.10.0.99...
Connected to 10.10.0.99.
Escape character is '^]'.
ProCurve J4899B Switch 2650
Software revision H.10.115

Copyright (C) 1991-2014 Hewlett-Packard Co.  All Rights Reserved.

                           RESTRICTED RIGHTS LEGEND

 Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is subject to
restrictions
 as set forth in subdivision (b) (3) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data
and
 Computer Software clause at 52.227-7013.

         HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY, 3000 Hanover St., Palo Alto, CA 94303

Press any key to continuePassword:
TEST-SWITCH99# --> (IT HANGS HERE until it eventually times out)
Error: TIMEOUT reached