[rancid] Backing up F5 BigIP LTM with rancid?

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 05:54:50 UTC 2015

On 10/06/2015 07:43, Jos wrote:
> Hi Scott
>
> I trust you got this sorted by now, but you were not alone with this. I
> have finally managed to get this going on a Centos 6.5 machine with the
> config attached (a hacked amalgam of 3.2 rancid and the github tmsh
> stuff), hoping it’s helpful to someone, the F5’s we have that this works
> for are running 11.5.1 Build 4.123.128. It’s currently producing noise,
> specifically the encrypted passwords for a couple local user accounts keep
> getting flagged in cvs as changing, but otherwise works well.
>
> If I can figure out the regex to remove the encrypted passwords that
> follow:
>
> auth-password-encrypted
>
> Or
> privacy-password-encrypted
>

> I can share.

The rancid scripts are peppered with these sort of checks. Something
like this:

if (/^(\s*auth|privacy)-password-encrypted/ && $filter_pwds >= 1) {
  ProcessHistory("whatever}","","","$1-password-encrypted <removed>\n");
}
next;

Regex gets complicated. There's a few examples aready in sub WriteTerm.
You'll obviously have to adapt the regex to cater for all the multiple
and various outputs different models from your vendor spit out.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com