[rancid] New Rancid install

Ryan Milton ryanmilton74 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 21:30:30 UTC 2015

I have installed rancid before, but its too infrequent between
installations, so I've run into the following roadblock.

-This is an ubuntu system.
-running as rancid user

running /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid-cvs

creates /usr/local/rancid/var/CVS/CVSROOT
rancid-run creates following error logs:

cvs commit: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
cvs commit: nothing known about `router.db'
cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

--------------

/usr/local/rancid/etc/rancid.conf
shows:

BASEDIR=/usr/local/rancid/var; export BASEDIR
PATH=/usr/local/rancid/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:.:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin;
export PATH

CVSROOT=$BASEDIR/CVS; export CVSROOT
LOGDIR=$BASEDIR/logs; export LOGDIR

#LIST_OF_GROUPS="$LIST_OF_GROUPS noc billybobisp"
LIST_OF_GROUPS="networks"

all the permissions are good.

Never got anything like this:

[rancid at bigboy ~]$ /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid-cvs
No conflicts created by this import
cvs checkout: Updating networking
cvs checkout: Updating networking/configs
cvs add: scheduling file `router.db' for addition
cvs add: use 'cvs commit' to add this file permanently
RCS file: /usr/local/rancid//var/CVS/networking/router.db,v
done
Checking in router.db;
/usr/local/rancid//var/CVS/networking/router.db,v   <--   router.db
initial revision: 1.1
done
[rancid at bigboy ~]$

Thanks for your help in advance.