[rancid] Fortigate diffs when nothing actually changed

Robert Drake rdrake at direcpath.com
Mon Feb 9 10:45:57 UTC 2015

Try running the diff on the cli and check whitespace?  Diff is a pretty
base-level thing, so it's not rancid that's tripping but something in
the actual config which makes it see a difference, but it's something
that doesn't show up on-screen.

If it is whitespace then there might be an error in the rancid script
that parses lines and adds a space, or there might be something in the
router that leaves whitespace where it shouldn't. Either way, it should
be correctable by having the rancid script remove the offending stuff.

On 2/9/2015 4:47 AM, Chard, Alex (RET-SYD) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I know I have seen this discussed a few times on here but I haven’t
> been able to find the resolution in the archives.
>
> I am running Rancid 3 (not sure how to check exact version).
>
> I have fortigates backed up in Rancid. They periodically drop/add
> commands from the config, and then revert back at the next backup.
>
> This means I end up with config diffs like the following:
>
> **
>
> *retrieving revision 1.11*
>
> *diff -U 4 -r1.11 rausyd-lan-fw02s.corp.regn.net @@ -59530,8 +59530,9 @@*
>
> *set dataset "traffic.Top10.IM.Users.Volume"*
>
> *set category traffic*
>
> *set favorite no*
>
> *set graph-type bar*
>
> *+ exit*
>
> *set style auto*
>
> *set dimension 3D*
>
> *config x-series*
>
> *set caption ''*
>
> followed by:
>
> *retrieving revision 1.12*
>
> *diff -U 4 -r1.12 rausyd-lan-fw02s.corp.regn.net @@ -59530,9 +59530,8 @@*
>
> *set dataset "traffic.Top10.IM.Users.Volume"*
>
> *set category traffic*
>
> *set favorite no*
>
> *set graph-type bar*
>
> *- exit*
>
> *set style auto*
>
> *set dimension 3D*
>
> *config x-series*
>
> *set caption ''*
>
> I do have the pager turned off, so that’s not the issue.
>
> And a partly related question, is there a way to have rancid download
> a config file by SCP rather than execute commands to retrieve it?
>
> It seems to me this might be more successful – and also an easy way to
> grab config from devices that aren’t supported.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex
>
> This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you
> have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
> immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient,
> you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the
> author's permission. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of
> transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own
> virus checks on any attachment to this e-mail. We cannot accept
> liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.

Direcpath, LLC
817 West Peachtree St. NW - Suite 750 | Atlanta, GA 30308
2935B Amwiler Rd. | Atlanta,GA 30360
T 866-430-7284  | F 404.961.7060
rdrake at direcpath.com | www.direcpath.com