[rancid] Need Help

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Thu Dec 17 09:59:21 UTC 2015

On 17/12/2015 06:51, Harsha S Aryan wrote:
> below is my rancid config, i am unable to config files of my network
> device as attachment in mail
There is a tested series of steps for making rancid work under Ubuntu
14.04 here:
https://nsrc.org/workshops/2015/wacren-nmm/raw-attachment/wiki/Agenda/rancid-exercise.htm

If you follow those steps, it will work. Or if you get a problem, at
least you can point to exactly the step where it didn't work as expected.

One thing I see wrong in your config is this:

LIST_OF_GROUPS="switches"
LIST_OF_GROUPS="routers"

It's a single setting, so it should be:

LIST_OF_GROUPS="switches routers"

However that doesn't explain any permissions problems you might see. If
you get these you are probably running rancid as the wrong user, or
perhaps you ran rancid once as root, which will break all the
permissions required for it to be able to run as the rancid user
subsequently. If so you may be able to fix this using:

sudo chown -R rancid:rancid /var/lib/rancid

HTH,

Brian.