[rancid] How to extend Rancid. Basics.

jm+rancid at roth.lu jm+rancid at roth.lu
Sat Aug 1 09:48:39 UTC 2015

Hi there,

I wanted to extend Rancid with a script to monitor some Checkpoint Gaia
firewalls.

What needs to be done there is login, issue a command to stop
pagination, and then say "show configuration". That's it.

Yeah I know these devices allow a scheduled backup that I could somehow
inject into SVN. Certainly. But that is not the question.

Now I find a myriad of scripts for other devices but which seem too
complicated to me, since I'm not the absolute Perl guru.

Clogin works fine for the login, expect for some commands for setting up
the terminal that it gives, which don't make sense on Checkpoint.

The question thus is: what is the absolute minimum required feature set
of the actual script to interact with the main rancid application i.e.
feed it the content so it is stored in SVN?

I don't want to use any advanced features. Is there a doc on all of this?
I'd love to provide "signatures" for certain devices but this somehow
stands in my way.

I also see that there seem to be several approchaches. There are
different xxrancid scripts in the bin directory. On the other hand, some
devices seem to call rancid directly with the -t parameter, which seems
to use libs from the lib directory, which looks like a more modular
approach. What's the difference, and what is the official/recommended
approach?

Thanks.

Marki