[rancid] Rancid with Git

Codey codey at cwv.net
Thu Nov 20 19:48:32 UTC 2014

Just read the discussion listed here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?do=post_view_flat;post=4874;page=2;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;list=rancid

I believe having each group as its own repository is pretty crucial in
some cases. Some situations could call for administrators only
responsible for one group of devices to be emailed, called, etc when
configurations have been changed. With each group as an autonomous repo,
that's very easy with plugging in the proper hooks or other ways.

Another situation would be when using a git frontend, like a lot of
enterprises do. I find that it'd be undesirable to have all RANCID
groups under one project. It'd be much more desirable to have each group
as a project with their own sets of permissions and what ever other
management methods pertain to the frontend in question. This is a
particular issue I'm running into because I'm using rancid-git and I'd
like to play with the idea of having several groups for different
customers we have as an MSP. A lot of control is lost when under the
same repository.

If I could suggest, I think an option for creating autonomous
repositories for each group should be available to the administrator to
decide.