[rancid] "rancid -d <devicename>" works, but "rancid-run <groupname>" does nothing

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Wed May 14 15:09:50 UTC 2014

On 14/05/2014 11:19, Olivier Boudry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed rancid 2.3.8 and configured it as described in
> http://www.routereflector.com/2013/09/configuration-versioning-using-rancid/
>

> I can get bin/clogin to work for all my devices. bin/rancid -d will also
> work and create me a localfile called devicename.new and containing the
> full configuration, but when I try to run the full group of devices
> "gb1", nothing happens.
>
> The group is defined in etc/rancid.conf as LIST_OF_GROUPS="gb1"
> (uncommented). I ran rancid-cvs which created the var/gb1 folder, and
> edited var/gb1/router.db which looks like this:
>
> 10.210.9.2|cisco|up
> 10.210.9.3|cisco|up
> 10.210.9.4|cisco|up
> 10.210.9.5|cisco|up

The separators must be colon ":" not pipes "|"

That howto you are following is just flat-out wrong (or it's author is
using a locally modified rancid and forgot that he did that)

The rancid tarballs ship with decent install docs that describe
everything nicely, rather use those in preference to anything else.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com