[rancid] Ignore differences in certain lines?

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 20:38:01 UTC 2014

On 24/07/2014 20:38, Aaron Wasserott wrote:
> I got it to work, at least capturing additional input. The main thing I did to fix it was -not- put my new command at the bottom of the list. I kept getting this error:
>
> Completed device.company.com: End of run not found
>
> Then after moving my new command up in the commandtable array it worked fine.
>
> Any thoughts/ideas on how to not email out based on changes to certain output?

I doubt that is possible without major surgery to the code. Two things
happen:

Files are booked into cvs/svn and that is an atomic process. CVS has to
work like that, it is almost useless otherwise.
If CVS recorded a diff, the diff is sent out as a mail.

You'll notice that CVS has no way to tag a changed line as somehow to be
recorded but not acted upon, so your only option is to hack rancid to
grab the output to be mailed and pass it through yet another perl text
parser (which you must maintain yourself)

It's so much easier to just have the rancid parser output the exact
information that you want to see. Rapidly changing data like current
state of an interface is better tracked through other monitoring tools.
Rancid is very bad at tracking state, but very very good at tracking the
changes people made on the cli (and providing restorable backups)