[rancid] Trouble grabbing configs from a Foundry FesX

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Wed Jul 2 20:38:09 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > Trying to get all of the configs.
> > foundry-needy.domain.com: End of run not found 0 || 0
> > foundry-needy.domain.com flogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
> > foundry-needy.domain.com: missed cmd(s): show chassis,show module,show
> > flash,show version,show running-config,write term
> > foundry-needy.domain.com: End of run not found
> > !
> > =====================================
> > Getting missed routers: round 1.
> > Received signal - ending run (1).
> > cat: /var/rancid/canby/routers.single: No such file or directory
> > All routers sucessfully completed.
> >
> > cat: /var/rancid/canby/routers.single: No such file or directory
> > Can't open /var/rancid/canby/routers.single: No such file or directory.
> >
> > If CLogin works, why would rancid complain about a timeout?
>

> you are testing with clogin
> but your output clearly shows rancid-run is launching flogin.
>
> It's set in the *rancid script itself (the one referenced in rancid-fe)
>
> I don't have rancid code handy here, but it looks like you have 2 curses
> of action:
>
> - fix flogin to work properly with ssh
> - edit the rancid parser to use clogin and not flogin

flogin is what you want.  I have it working fine with ssh on similar
Foundry/Brocade models.

Run something like:

  env NOPIPE=YES PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/libexec/rancid francid -d devicename

(where /usr/local/libexec/rancid is the place your rancid scripts are
located) and see what the .raw logfile says.

The user rancid is logging in as will need to be suitable priviliged.  If
it isn't admin privileged, you may need to permit it to run additional
commands at your user level.  In my case, I have my rancid user privilege
5, and also then need to configure:

privilege exec level 5 skip-page-display

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.