[rancid] prefix-list random order bug

Christopher J. Umina chris at uminac.com
Tue Dec 16 22:11:33 UTC 2014

Ah, that was confusing. I assumed since it was commented it was not enabled
by default. It appears that explicitly setting it to NO has fixed the issue.

So, it appears that ACLSORT is broken by the new Perl, not the other way
around.

Sorry I missed that and thank you for the help.

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 4:56 PM, heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> wrote:

> Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 01:33:09PM +0200, Alan McKinnon:
> > On 15/12/2014 21:08, Christopher J. Umina wrote:
> > > Sorry, I should have clarified,
> > >
> > > I'm using the 100% default rancid.conf (except LIST_OF_GROUPS, of
> > > course), so ACLSORT is disabled.
>
> It is not the default, unless fbsd changed it.
>
> > >     # uname -a
> > >     FreeBSD test.box 10.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE #0 r274401: Tue
> > >     Nov 11 21:02:49 UTC 2014
> > >     root at releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
> > >     # pkg info perl\* rancid\*
> > >     perl5-5.18.4_10
> > >     rancid3-3.1_1
> > >

> > > This issue didn't occur until I upgraded to FreeBSD 10.1 and all
> > > packages were upgraded.  Not sure what the original version of Perl
> was,
> > > but I have a feeling that's what broke things.
> >
> > You might be right. Somewhere around perl 5.14 or 5.16 the
> > implementation of associative arrays (hashes) was changed. The order of
> > keys for a given hash were randomly distributed but consistent from one
> > run to the next. The change made keys always come out in a random order.
> > I had to fix a few in-house apps at the time.
> >
> > It's possible your version of rancid relies on the old behaviour. I
> > don't have a working install handy to investigate, but thought it worth
> > mentioning.
>
> perhaps; my test boxes are all 5.14 and I do not see the problem.  I'll
> investigate.  thanks.

Christopher J. Umina
chris at uminac.com
781 354 0535