[rancid] Explain email error

Ryan Milton rmilton at mvsusa.com
Sun Sep 29 00:05:19 UTC 2013

Thanks,

>From the bottom, looking in /etc/passwd:
rancid:x:1001:1001:Rancid,,,:/home/rancid:/bin/bash  (I take that as
incorrect!)

>From /var/lib/rancid/Network/router.db :  hpswitch.ams:hp:up
-I only have it here (used locate router.db, only one line came back)

My rancid.conf

 rancid 2.3.6
# This file sets up the environment used for rancid.  see rancid.conf(5)
#
# This will be site specific
#
TERM=network;export TERM
#
# Create files w/o world read/write/exec permissions, but read/exec
permissions
# for group.
umask 027
#
# Under BASEDIR (i.e.: --localstatedir), there will be a "logs" directory
for
# the logs from rancid and a directory for each group of routers defined in
# LIST_OF_GROUPS (below).  In addition to these, there will be a "CVS"
# directory which is the cvs (or Subversion) repository.
#
# Use a full path (no sym-links) for BASEDIR.
#
TMPDIR=/tmp; export TMPDIR
# Be careful changing this, it affects CVSROOT below.
BASEDIR=/var/lib/rancid; export BASEDIR
PATH=/usr/lib/rancid/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin;
export PATH
# Location of the CVS/SVN repository.  Be careful changing this.
CVSROOT=$BASEDIR/CVS; export CVSROOT
# Location of log files produced by rancid-run(1).
LOGDIR=$BASEDIR/logs; export LOGDIR
#
# Select which RCS system to use, "cvs" (default) or "svn".  Do not change
# this after CVSROOT has been created with rancid-cvs.  Changing between
these
# requires manual conversions.
RCSSYS=cvs; export RCSSYS
#
# if ACLSORT is NO, access-lists will NOT be sorted.
#ACLSORT=YES; export ACLSORT
#
# if NOPIPE is set, temp files will be used instead of a cmd pipe during
# collection from the router(s).
#NOPIPE=YES; export NOPIPE
#
# FILTER_PWDS determines which passwords are filtered from configs by the
# value set (NO | YES | ALL).  see rancid.conf(5).
#FILTER_PWDS=YES; export FILTER_PWDS
#
# if NOCOMMSTR is set, snmp community strings will be stripped from the
configs
#NOCOMMSTR=YES; export NOCOMMSTR
#
# How many times failed collections are retried (for each run) before
# giving up.  Minimum: 1
#MAX_ROUNDS=4; export MAX_ROUNDS
#
# How many hours should pass before complaining about routers that
# can not be reached.  The value should be greater than the number
# of hours between your rancid-run cron job.  Default: 24
#OLDTIME=4; export OLDTIME
#
# How many hours should pass before complaining that a group's collection
# (the age of it's lock file) is hung.
#LOCKTIME=4; export LOCKTIME
#
# The number of devices to collect simultaneously.
PAR_COUNT=15; export PAR_COUNT
#
# list of rancid groups
#LIST_OF_GROUPS="sl joebobisp"
# more groups...
#LIST_OF_GROUPS="$LIST_OF_GROUPS noc billybobisp"
LIST_OF_GROUPS="MVSNetwork"
# For each group, define a list of people to receive the diffs.
# in sendmail's /etc/aliases.
#   rancid-group:       joe,moe at foo
#   rancid-admin-group: hostmaster
# be sure to read ../README regarding aliases.
# If your MTA configuration is broken or you want mail to be forwarded to a
# domain not the same as the local one, define that domain here.  "@" must
be
# included, as this is simply appended to the usual recipients.  It is NOT
# appended to recipients specified in rancid-run's -m option.
#MAILDOMAIN="@example.com"; export MAILDOMAIN
#
# By default, rancid mail is marked with precedence "bulk".  This may be
# changed by setting the MAILHEADERS variable; for example no header by
setting
# it to "" or adding X- style headers.  Individual headers must be
separated
# by a \n.
#MAILHEADERS="Precedence: bulk"; export MAILHEADERS