[rancid] Adding more commands during Rancid / Development

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 06:12:31 UTC 2013

It's an iterative process where you tweak your subs and regular
expressions until you get the output you want.

Running rancid-run repeatedly puts strain on your routers though, so use
a short cut:

jrancid -d    gives the jlogin command to use
use that and save the output to a file
use the file as input to jrancid -f

Now you can run it as many times as you like without hitting the network

As for writing subs,

add the command to @commandtable with the literal command as a key and a
suitably named sub as the value. The subs all follow this pattern:

 # This routine parses "show chassis environment"
sub ShowChassisEnvironment {
    print STDERR "    In ShowChassisEnvironment: $_" if ($debug);
    s/^[a-z]+@//;
    ProcessHistory("","","","# $_");
    while (<INPUT>) {
        tr/\015//d;
        last if (/^$prompt/);
                               <= regex magic goes here
    }
    return(0);
}

For me the hard part was figuring out how ProcessHistory() works -
specifically what the arguments do. They just mark the output off in
section and classify chunks of output that goes together. Change values
around and runt he code to observe what they do. It's hard to express
briefly in English so I'm not gonna try ;-)