[rancid] New Device - Ligowave PTP-5N

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 11:40:56 UTC 2013

On 17/09/2013 13:32, Charles van der Spuy wrote:
> I am about to start the adventure of writing the necessary scripts to
> add a new device to the current collection.
> I am supporting a client who requires his bridge radio links backed up
> as well as router configs.
>
> I will be hoping to add Ligowave, Radwin and Strix devices to the mix.
> Firstly, if anybody has done any of the above, I would love to piggyback
> on what you have already done if you are willing to share.
>
> Otherwise, any words of wisdom on the approach I should take would be
> welcome.
> I hope that from this exercise I can write some kind of 'Adding Rancid
> Devices for Dummies' to make all our lives easier.

First thing is to explore the device and get a very firm grip in your
mind how it works. Log into it and observe how it does this process, run
the commands that give you back the useful config and note places where
the device gives you anything back other than pure ASCII separated by
newlines.

What you want to achieve is a good mental picture of how much it
deviates from the general Cisco way of doing things (rancid is very
Cisco-centric in it's design, you have to take this into account).

The only really clever part then is a *login script that does the right
thing, followed by the config parser. This last bit is mostly drudge
work consisting of lots of subs that themselves consist of lots of
regular expressions (read the "rancid" script to get the sense of it)

If it turns out these devices are hugely different from Cisco's
approach, then you have your work cut out for you and should probably
find some other similar device with rancid support and use that as a base.

I can't be of much more help than this, I've never worked on your
devices. Everything I have is rather Cisco-like.