[rancid] rancid not writting configurations to /config/ file

Sean Maguire maguiresf at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 14:59:42 UTC 2013

On 12 September 2013 10:06, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/09/2013 10:08, Erica James wrote:
> > hello there!
> >
> > I am facing a problem with rancid, please kindly advise. I am adding a
> > Huawei MA5600T device to rancid, but rancid does not write
> > configurations to the /config/  file.This is the only output I am
> > getting in the file.
> >
> > [eserica at netflow configs]$ ls
> > 10.3.4.5  CVS
> > [eserica at netflow configs]$ less 10.3.4.5
> > # RANCID-CONTENT-TYPE: Huawei
> > #
> >
> > and with the logs,
> >
> > Trying to get all of the configs.
> > 10.3.4.5: missed cmd(s): display current-configuration,display version
> > 10.3.4.5: End of run not found
> > #
> > All routers sucessfully completed.
> > cvs diff: Diffing .
> > cvs diff: Diffing configs
> > cvs commit: Examining .
> > cvs commit: Examining configs
> >

> > Does it have anything to do with the "missed cmds"? What about the end
> > of run. I have checked out suggestions from the forum plus the FAQs but
> > none has proved success.
>
> "missed commands" means that the rancid parser looked for the output of
> those two commands, but did not find it for whatever reason. It's a
> general type of error message and all you know at this point is that
> something went wrong.
>
> "end of run not found" means exactly that - the parser looked for some
> text pattern that indicates all the text above it was processed
> correctly and the end happened exactly where it was expected to end.
> Again, we know something went wrong but have no idea what.
>
> I don't have the hu* scripts, but I assume they are forked from the
> original rancid scripts?
>
> Run "hurancid -d <router name>", that should dump the entire raw output
> into the current directory and you can manually go through it to figure
> out what went wrong.
>
> Consider how rancid must work - it receives many lines of unstructured
> text that hopefully follow and expected pattern. It has to identify the
> prompt character, match the command entered later on that line, and
> process every line after it until it sees a prompt again, then repate
> for the next command. It's all driven by regular expressions and if one
> line does not match in the expected way it can throw out everything that
> follows. Plus, we have vendors who change the formatting of the output
> almost on a whim sometimes...
>
> There's no stock answer to the problem you have, it really does take
> eyeballs on the text to figure it out.
>

> > Can someone advise please.  I am currently using hulogin and hurancid
> > scripts. Take a look at them
> >
> > https://github.com/ssinyagin/rancid-ssi/blob/master/bin/hulogin.in
> >
> > https://github.com/ssinyagin/rancid-ssi/blob/master/bin/hurancid.in
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Eserica

> --
> Alan McKinnon
> [...]

I think you are going to struggle getting the Huawei 5600 to back up
correctly in RANCID I'm afraid. The problem with Huawei is that they have
very different CLIs across their product range. In fact, on their MSANs you
see significant differences between the CLI of the data cards and the voice
cards and neither of these have a CLI which is the same the that on their
switches or firewalls. I suspect the RANCID script you are using was
designed for switches and firewalls rather than the 5600 DSLAM. Some of the
major differences are how the CLI handles things like turning off paging (I
seem to remember at least some of their kit not supporting disabling
paging) and the string that is output to inform the user of the end of a
page (which RANCID uses internally if paging support cannot be disabled). I
also seem to remember the DSLAMs spitting out all kinds of horrible control
character which make your RANCID backups look a total mess. We've been
through this process where I work and in the end we decided to just give up
on the idea of using RANCID to backup the Huawei DSLAMs and MSANs and
backed up the configs to a TFTP server instead (I think that's the only
server type they supported on the code we run). Unless you are fairly handy
at perl and tcl or know someone who is and have time to spend a lot of time
digging around in the code for the plugin, I'd suggest doing the same to
save yourself some massive headaches!