[rancid] Rancid and Nortel 8600

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 19:47:52 UTC 2013

On 28/10/2013 19:00, AJ Schroeder wrote:
> Hello list,
>

> I know that this subject has come up many times before and I have been
> searching for answers on this subject and keep running into dead-ends. I
> am trying to backup some old 8600 switches with RANCID and much like the
> switches themselves, the backups aren’t working very well. I have the
> device set to “baynet” in the router.db file and this is what I get in
> the logs (names changed to x.x.x.x):
>

> Trying to get all of the configs.
>
> x.x.x.x blogin error: Error: TIMEOUT reached
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is your problem. The code is trying to log into the device and it
does not succeed. At this point you need to apply regular network
troubleshooting techniques as the root cause is usually nothing to do
with the rancid code. The "End of run not found" error at this point is
not worth looking at further, it means the same as "something went wrong".

It's worth repeating at this point that trying various code dumps that
show up in google is unlikely to work well for you, you need to take a
more structured approach.

First, telnet or ssh as appropriate from your rancid host to the device,
establish if that works. Then assuming that brancid and blogin are the
correct scripts for your device type, run blogin manually and see what
happens. This can fail in so many ways, for example:

no connectivity between rancid host and device
ports 22 and 23 firewalled out
device not listening on ports 22 and 23
blogin trying to use an invalid username
blogin trying to use an incorrect password
and more

Don't forget to check that the contents of your ~/.cloginrc are valid
and correct.

Until you have done these steps, there is very little anyone can do to
assist you meaningfully.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com