[rancid] rancid "losing" characters

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Oct 18 20:01:42 UTC 2013

Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 09:51:29AM -0400, Stephen Griffin:
> We had reduced the send_human timers because of internal user complaints
> that it was too slow. I went back to the stock value and it dramatically
> reduced (although didn't eliminate entirely) the lost characters, so it
> appears to be buffer overflows. It is just odd because the older version we
> had didn't (ttbomk) use send_human.

sigh.  unless there is a bug in tcl/expect, i don't know why that would
happen.  when the login scripts get a prompt, they try to build a more
complete prompt for more assurance that it doesnt match stuff in the
output of commands.  is it building something reasonable from your prompts
(flogin -d -c somecmd).  i do not see anything about buffers in the expect
changelog that seems like it'd affect 5.43.  i didnt look at tcl.