[rancid] Which command subset is actually run?

Paweł Rzepa pawel.rzepa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 07:27:23 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to introduce rancid to my environment. Before I run it into
prod, I try to understand it.

I want to use rancid to get config from Cisco ASA. I was able to get
configuration, but don't understand which commands and *why *are actually
run by rancid.
I know that for this type of device 'rancid' script is run. I've looked at
commandtable variable. But the list is not valid for ASA. E.g. ASA does not
support command 'show idprom backplane'.

When I run 'rancid -d 10.1.1.1' I get the output pasted below. So how can i
verify/modify what commands are actually run by rancid?

#rancid -d 10.1.1.1
executing clogin -t 90 -c"show version;show redundancy secondary;show
idprom backplane;show install active;show env all;show rsp
chassis-info;show gsr chassis;show diag chassis-info;show boot;show
bootvar;show variables boot;show flash;dir /all nvram:;dir /all
bootflash:;dir /all slot0:;dir /all disk0:;dir /all slot1:;dir /all
disk1:;dir /all slot2:;dir /all disk2:;dir /all harddisk:;dir /all
harddiska:;dir /all harddiskb:;dir /all sup-bootdisk:;dir /all
sup-bootflash:;dir /all sup-microcode:;dir /all slavenvram:;dir /all
slavebootflash:;dir /all slaveslot0:;dir /all slavedisk0:;dir /all
slaveslot1:;dir /all slavedisk1:;dir /all slaveslot2:;dir /all
slavedisk2:;dir /all slavesup-bootflash:;dir /all sec-nvram:;dir /all
sec-bootflash:;dir /all sec-slot0:;dir /all sec-disk0:;dir /all
sec-slot1:;dir /all sec-disk1:;dir /all sec-slot2:;dir /all sec-disk2:;show
controllers;show controllers cbus;show diagbus;show diag;show capture;show
module;show spe version;show c7200;show inventory raw;show vtp status;show
vlan;show vlan-switch;show debug;show shun;more system:running-config;show
running-config view full;show running-config;write term" 10.1.1.1
PROMPT MATCH: fw-asa#
HIT COMMAND:fw-asa#  show version
    In ShowVersion: fw-asa#  show version
HIT COMMAND:fw-asa# show redundancy secondary
    In ShowRedundancy: fw-asa# show redundancy secondary
HIT COMMAND:fw-asa# show idprom backplane
    In ShowIDprom: fw-asa# show idprom backplane
HIT COMMAND:fw-asa# show install active
    In ShowInstallActive: fw-asa# show install active
HIT COMMAND:fw-asa# show env all
    In ShowEnv: fw-asa# show env all
HIT COMMAND:fw-asa# show rsp chassis-info
    In ShowRSP: fw-asa# show rsp chassis-info

Regards,
Pawel