[rancid] Rancid and Viewvc / Authentication and Inventory View

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 07:46:00 UTC 2013

On 01/10/2013 09:07, Tayfun Sarı wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I install rancid and viewvc successfully.I had 2 thing to be done and
> need advice.
>
> 1-Need a authentication for viewvc.Is it possible to do it by
> configuration or need to installa some other tools?Whats is your advice
> and best practices?
>
> 2-I need to view the inventory of my cisco switches.What should I do to
> view this info on Viewvc.

viewvc is a CVS viewer that runs in a web server. It takes your cvs
files and presents them in a browser. Authentication is done in viewvc
and in your http server, it has nothing to do with rancid.

A CVS viewer can only show you the files it has in the CVS repo, it
cannot extract information from them and present it in different ways.
Rancid by itself does not intelligently process inventory, it only grabs
show output and puts it in a file. You can view that file to see what
rancid recorded (as well as everything else it also recorded)

By inventory do you mean an organized list of what hardware you have
installed with eg serial and model numbers? If that's what you mean you
will need to use a proper inventory tool, rancid is not suitable for
that purpose.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com