[rancid] Checking for root

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Thu Jun 6 19:26:56 UTC 2013

On 6 June 2013 16:34, heasley <heas at shrubbery.net> wrote:

> Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 04:57:10PM +0200, Alan McKinnon:
> > Anyone who abuses the root account loses the root account.
>
> s/abuses/doesnt know what theyre doing with/

​Some of those that have done this have done it absent mindedly, they are
just used to doing "sudo xyz" if "xyz" didn't work in the first place.​

> anyway, i dont care for such checks, i know what my UID is and things that
> think they must protect me from myself are just annoying and its not the
> Unix manner.  but, if folks would like this, i'd be willing to add a check
> that is enabled by a rancid.conf option, which i believe would be
> sufficient,
> right?

That would be great if you could incorporate it into a future release --
it's caught quite a few people out (most of whom should know better, but
were touching RANCID for the first time adding a new router or similar
through puppet then running rancid-run manually).

It's not an urgent or important feature by any rate, but it'd be a great
thing to see!

M​​