[rancid] persistent alerts - but nothing was changed ... ?

Wilkinson, Alex alex.wilkinson at cba.com.au
Wed Jul 17 08:46:58 UTC 2013

    0n Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 05:59:27PM +1000, Alan McKinnon wrote:

    >On 17/07/2013 09:24, Wilkinson, Alex wrote:
    >>     0n Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 03:49:50PM +1000, Alan McKinnon wrote:
    >>
    >>     >On 17/07/2013 03:46, Wilkinson, Alex wrote:
    >>     >>     0n Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 06:53:45AM +1000, heasley wrote:
    >>     >>
    >>     >>     >Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:53:23AM +0800, Wilkinson, Alex:
    >>     >>     >>     0n Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:47:55PM +1000, Roy wrote:
    >>     >>     >>
    >>     >>     >>     >I don't know the box but the diff seems to indicate that the location of
    >>     >>     >>     >mgmt0 and mgmt1 interfaces in the config file is changing.  In the first
    >>     >>     >>     >diff the interfaces are before Ethernet1/1 and in the second diff, they
    >>     >>     >>     >are after Ethernet 1/20
    >>     >>     >>
    >>     >>     >> You are exactly right. When comparing the diffs via OpenGrok its very clear that
    >>     >>     >> the line locations consistently change causing a diff + rancid alert. If i'm not
    >>     >>     >> changing these devices and the line locations are supposedly changing - what
    >>     >>     >> could cause this ? rancid ?
    >>     >>     >
    >>     >>     >it wouldnt be rancid, it's the device itself.  report the bug to the TAC.
    >>     >>
    >>     >> Something I have noticed is that for all my Nexus devices (7K, 5K, 4K) none of
    >>     >> them have the 'RANCID-CONTENT-TYPE' of 'cisco-nx' but rather plain old 'cisco'.
    >>     >> Could this be the reason behind the my problem ? And even if not, why would
    >>     >> Rancid not be using cisco-nx automagically ? Or do I have to set it manually ?
    >>     >
    >>     >
    >>     >You have to set it manually in router.db
    >>     >
    >>     >Rancid has no auto-detection of device type
    >>
    >> Ah, great! I changed all NX devices to cisco-nx. This seems to fix the false alert
    >> noise but now introduces a new problem for our Nexus 5000s e.g
    >>
    >>    Trying to get all of the configs.
    >>    nexus5k1-1: missed cmd(s): show cores vdc-all,show processes log vdc-all,show running-config
    >>    nexus5k1-1: End of run not found
    >>    !
    >>    nexus5k1-2: missed cmd(s): show cores vdc-all,show processes log vdc-all,show running-config
    >>    nexus5k1-2: End of run not found
    >>    !
    >>    nexus5k2-2: missed cmd(s): show cores vdc-all,show processes log vdc-all,show running-config
    >>    nexus5k2-2: End of run not found
    >>    !
    >>    nexus5k2-1: missed cmd(s): show cores vdc-all,show processes log vdc-all,show running-config
    >>    nexus5k2-1: End of run not found
    >>
    >> All other Nexus devices work fine now (7Ks, 4Ks).
    >>
    >> Any ideas ?
    >
    >The failing commands are the last three, so I'd suspect the command just
    >before those  - show debug.

Awesome! You where right. 'show debug' was failing. I forgot to add a role for
rancid user. All sorted now! Neat patch also!

   -Alex

This e-mail message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information which may be
confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender by return email, do not use or
disclose the contents, and delete the message and any attachments from your system. Unless
specifically indicated, this email does not constitute formal advice or commitment by the sender
or the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (ABN 48 123 123 124) or its subsidiaries.
We can be contacted through our web site: commbank.com.au.
If you no longer wish to receive commercial electronic messages from us, please reply to this
e-mail by typing Unsubscribe in the subject line.