[rancid] Extra spaces being randomly added - and seen as config changes

Kerry Cox kerry.cox at wjbradley.com
Fri Jan 4 22:54:20 UTC 2013

My issue is that every hour, the configs from my Cisco ASAs are reporting as alternating between having content in the BootFlash: setting and then having no content.
I have changed the setting in rancid.conf to be NOPIPE = YES and also NO, with no change.
I have also run "rancid -d 10.10.0.1" against the firewalls from the command line and seen zero issues.  Everything checks out.
I have run rancid by itself against the firewall and saved the raw output and then done a diff against over 10 files. The output is always the same, no change.
So, I guess it is my cron job that is causing the variations?

# Run config differ hourly at 5 minutes past the hour
5 * * * *       /usr/local/rancid/bin/rancid-run

Is there another setting I am missing that could be causing the BootFlash: BOOT variable to change?
Thanks for all the input.  I guess I'll set my cron to once a day rather than once an hour so I don't get so many false alerts.
Kerry