[rancid] Cisco 3524 PWRXL - Login without username

Gerhard Mourani GMourani at prival.ca
Fri Jan 4 20:37:39 UTC 2013

Hello List,

I'm having problem with Rancid 2.3.8 on Linux and old Cisco IOS 12.0 3524 PWRXL on which no username is defined. Therefore for login into the switch I just telnet the IP and enter the password. For this, here my configuration inside .cloginrc file:

add password   1.2.3.4  passwd  enablepasswd
add method     1.2.3.4  telnet

bash-4.2$ clogin -f /usr/share/rancid/.cloginrc 1.2.3.4
1.2.3.4
spawn telnet 1.2.3.4
Trying 1.2.3.4...
Connected to 1.2.3.4.
Escape character is '^]'.
Private Equipement
Acces denied without permission

User Access Verification

Password:
Error: Check your passwd for 1.2.3.4

The above fail because Rancid expect a username before continuing. How to make my configuration work without having to define a username (add user .....)?

Gerhard,