[rancid] Rollback functionality and potential pitfalls

Ramon ramonbatwork at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:38:13 UTC 2013

heasley; that is a good idea and I have definitely have tried that... the
problem I am having however with the banner at this point is with clogin or
"expect" perhaps: newlines (line breaks) after each line in the banner
statement dont return any meaningful character such as ">", "#" to the
clogin script, so it just halts.

I dont think it is a bug, but it would be very good to be able use the -x
option with clogin and push a complete config files (including banner).
Perhaps the solution is for clogin to push lines after a banner statement
differently "knowing" that until it reaches the delimiter character it can
continue to paste lines without expecting the hash.

shouldb, excellent idea to write the date and message about rollback. That
is a easy and useful one-liner (the limit a this point)

I also got very interested when I found about configure replace... my
success rate using on production so far was 1 out of 3. Yesterday I saw
another (undocumented new) failure:

"Error: could not write to output buffer incremental-temp.cfg"