[rancid] Rollback functionality and potential pitfalls

andrew.brennan+rancid at drexel.edu andrew.brennan+rancid at drexel.edu
Tue Feb 12 20:42:36 UTC 2013

One complication would be cases where a command's default state was one that
isn't normally displayed in the configs.  You could do the CVS diff between
good/bad configs and then parse for +/- to remove/add any change that was
shown.  Then, parse the "no shutdown" so that you weren't doing something like
"no no shutdown" (remove 'no' when present, add 'no' for other diff'd lines).

That *might* address the non-displayed default config lines, but I'm not sure
I've thought through this completely yet.  You'll still have issues where lines
are eliminated from the RANCID store (passwds, etc.).

The other option would be to create a copy of the old/good config file and copy
it directly to startup-config for the next reboot.  You still have an issue
with lines eliminated by RANCID, though.

andrew.