[rancid] Rollback functionality and potential pitfalls

Ramon ramonbatwork at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 16:04:40 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I am currently looking in to a way to implement rollback functionality
using rancid. What would it take to reverse bad changes and restore the
config of a cisco device back to a previous saved version?

I ask because just pushing the original config on top of the modified
version would not remove or flush out certain statements, possibly leaving
duplicates that would have to be removed manually.

My first idea was to create a negative file, by generating a "no statement"
for every line in the new config that does not match the old config. After
pushing the negative file and removing the changes I would push the old
config to restore any of the deleted statements.

Feedback on any foreseeable issues such as possible hierarchical problems
(interfaces, acls, bgp) would be very welcomed.

Thanks,
Ramon