[rancid] SSH process hangs using cron with Aruba devices

Elle Plato techgrrl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 22:13:30 UTC 2013

> This works fine if I do it manually while SSH’ed into the Rancid server
> but if I run it through cron the ssh instances hang.

I don't run rancid, but I have some homegrown stuff I maintain that works
in a similar fashion.
In general I look for differences in the execution environment.
 - Dump the environment to look for changes in the path, etc.
 - If you are running as a different user, look for permissions issues.
 - maybe you cannot find your .cloginrc or some executable you are shelling
out to.
 - Non-interactive shells behave differently than interactive shells in
terms of sourcing dotfiles and more.
   You can force them to be treated as interactive, but if you have
something expecting something on STDIN,
    you are going to be waiting for a long time.

Have you tried enabled debugging using debug and exp_internal?  It can be
real handy when expect is waiting on a pattern match, and you need to see
exactly what it is waiting on.

Elle