[rancid] missed cmds, but only when run from cron

Brent Wiese bwiese at ElementPS.com
Wed Aug 14 00:22:01 UTC 2013

This is boggling my mind.

I slightly modified the f5rancid script to work with their version 11 TMOS. Basically, all it does is "show running-config" and then runs "quit" instead of "exit" when it finds the prompt.

This has been working just fine for our existing load balancers. But we recently added a new set. The first run appears to work. Then I start getting this in the logs:

starting: Tue Aug 13 17:02:11 MST 2013

cvs add: lb01.my.domain already exists, with version number 1.4
Added lb01.my.domain

Trying to get all of the configs.
lb01.my.domain: (v11) missed cmd(s): show running-config
lb01.my.domain: (v11) End of run not found
#

I don't get it - if I run f5rancid_v11 (my modified copy), it runs just fine and the ".new" file is there with all the info I need. It's only when it's run from cron that it throws any kind of error. F5login runs fine too (or f5rancid_v11 would fail). I added the "(v11)" in the log line area to confirm it's running the correct script when it does rancid-run.

Since it's logging errors, I don't think it's any kind of permissions error. But I am running as the same user as the cron job.

All my other configs are coming in and diff'ing just fine, so I don't think it's a CVS issue (or the ability to write temp files for example).

Any ideas?

Thanks!