[rancid] RANCID pulls hourly diff off NEXUS 5500 despite no changes

Hughes, Doug Douglas.Hughes at DEShawResearch.com
Wed Oct 17 14:08:58 UTC 2012

Which section does it occur in? Is it part of Show Ver or other? If you go into that section in the rancid file you can add a regex match to discard Time:

For instance, go to sub ShowVersion
Scroll down and you'll see a ton of regular expressions.
Add a new one like this:
# ignore time changes to avoid hourly spam
/^Time: / && next;

Put that line in whatever section is generating the annoying timestamp.

From: rancid-discuss-bounces at shrubbery.net [mailto:rancid-discuss-bounces at shrubbery.net] On Behalf Of Pete Boynton
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:50 AM
To: rancid-discuss at shrubbery.net
Subject: [rancid] RANCID pulls hourly diff off NEXUS 5500 despite no changes

Hello,

We are running version of 2.3.8 of RANCID. The problem we are having is that every hour RANCID detects a change in the config and so it posts a new page even though no chance has occurred. It detects the line:

!Time: Wed Oct 17 06:00:06 2012

has changed from the hour before, so I guess technically a change has occurred and RANCID is doing what it was designed to do. However we are getting spammed with versions that really don't tell us when an important change has been made. This is only a problem on the NEXUS switches. Everything else works fine.

Question:

1. Is there a way to tell RANCID to ignore the line that begins with !Time?

Thanks for any help you can give

Pedro