[rancid] 3Com 4400 TFTP

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Mon Mar 19 11:25:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:

> On 2012-03-19 10:33, Giovanni Lovato wrote:
> > Hi all!
> > I'm trying Rancid to backup 3Com 4400 switches configurations.
> > I can successfully login via telnet, then I need to configure Rancid to
> > run the command "system backupConfig save <ip-address> <file-name>
> > backupConfig" and expect for the "Save of system configuration successful"
> > message to retrieve the contents of "/srv/tftp/<file-name>".
> > It's very straightforward but I don't know Perl. Maybe someone has already
> > done something like this?
>
> There is a plugin which may cover the 4400, or may need modifying to do so:
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/jrbinks/code/rancid/h3c

No; that is only for later 3Com products with/as H3C, products derived
from Huawei (and products now branded as part of HP Networking's range).

The 4400 is part of the traditional Comware Superstack heritage which goes
back through the 4200, 3300, 1100, PSHub50 and so on.

I modified Michael Stefaniuc wrancid to create wraprancid partly with
these products in mind:

  https://sites.google.com/site/jrbinks/code/rancid/wraprancid

however in the end I never actually bothered to write the plugin required
to do the tftp part.  I still have some of switches, but I doubt I will
have time to write the wraprancid plugin.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.