[rancid] Email notification with RANCID

Hagen, Skye skyeh at uidaho.edu
Wed Jan 18 00:48:25 UTC 2012

We took a completely different tact on notification. We backup over 1600
devices nightly, and only want notification if there is a problem, and in
some cases, only when there is a major problem.

We use syslog with Splunk for a majority of our reporting. What I did was to
wrap 'rancid-run' in a shell script that will take the logs, massage them,
and send the results to syslog.

We have created a number of Splunk reports, such as a report that tells us
if there are excessive errors, or if a backup has had successive failures.

If anyone is interested, I have attached the script.

Skye.