[rancid] How to implement a diff filter?

heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Feb 17 21:36:05 UTC 2012

Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 08:37:29PM +0000, James Bensley:
> Hi Listee's,
>
> I have a problem which I'm sure is common, I wish to filter out some
> email updates from Rancid.
>
> Here are two very common examples for me of diff's that are emailed to
> me regularly, that I really don't need to know about :)
>
> [1] http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=8KviGwAb
> [2] http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Ff38Gpvp
>
> What I would like is to understand the order in which the various
> parts of Rancid run when indexing Cisco devices, so that I can
> interrupt it.

control_rancid runs for each group
	rancid script
		execs login script
control_rancid diffs & checks in changes

you have to change the rancid script.

rancid-3.0 will have a manner to add/remove commands you do/dont want to run,
define your own device types, or add your own filters without altering the
base stuff.