[rancid] Rancid faild to create SVN repository

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Oct 28 23:46:01 UTC 2011

Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 12:43:36PM -0300, Dago Pacheco:
> Hi everybody
>
> I'm trying to set up rancid on a Centos 5.7 machine.  I installed
> rancid-2.3.6-1.el5 rpm package form repository and set up correct
> values on rancid.conf (every path and parameter is correctly set).
> i set SVN as the revision system and, of course, SVN is installed
> (v1.6.11-7).
> The problem comes when running rancid-cvs script.  It correctly
> generate group folder (and internal file and folder structure) but
> it faild to create SVN repository and, therefor, can't import and
> checkout files form it.  Then, when I run rancid-run, it correctly
> download router's config files to folder group, but, because
> repositry creation error, it can't checkout new files.
> As a way of testing, I manually run svn repository creation
> commands, the same way rancid-cvs script does, and it works finen,
> repository was created, group files and folders were imported and I
> can successfully checkout a working copy form repository.
>
> This is the output for rancid-cvs
>
>    [rancid at pintados rancid]$ rancid-cvs
>    svn: No se pudo abrir una sesi?n ra_local con el URL
>    svn: No se pudo abrir el repositorio
>    'file:///var/rancid/CVS/unap_Iqq_PB'
>    svn: No se pudo abrir una sesi?n ra_local con el URL
>    svn: No se pudo abrir el repositorio
>    'file:///var/rancid/CVS/unap_Iqq_PB'
>    svn: '.' no es una copia de trabajo
>    svn: '/var/rancid/unap_Iqq_PB/configs' no es una copia de trabajo
>    svn: '.' no es una copia de trabajo
>    svn: '/var/rancid/unap_Iqq_PB' no es una copia de trabajo
>
> This is the list of files on $CVSROOT (/var/rancid/CVS), as you can
> see, no repository structure files and folders were created.
>
>    [rancid at pintados CVS]$ cd /var/rancid/CVS/
>    [rancid at pintados CVS]$ ll
>    total 0
>    [rancid at pintados CVS]$

I've created a test installation for myself from source and svn and
cvs both work fine.  perhaps start fresh:

rm -rf CVS unap_Iqq_PB; rancid-cvs unap_Iqq_PB

or ditch the centos package and install from source.

>    svn: '/var/rancid/unap_Iqq_PB' no es una copia de trabajo
>    /usr/libexec/rancid/control_rancid: line 276: sendmail: command not
>    found

the path of sendmail must be included in PATH in rancid.conf.