[rancid] su - rancid password

Ryan West rwest at zyedge.com
Wed Oct 5 15:56:10 UTC 2011

Are you logged in as rancid or root?

Sent from handheld

On Oct 5, 2011, at 11:54 AM, Henry P Hardin <h-hardin at northwestern.edu<mailto:h-hardin at northwestern.edu>> wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm following the Rhys Evans linux install doc.  I'm installing in /var/rancid-2.3.6 rather than /usr/local/rancid but other than that following the notes.

My problem is that in step 18 when I run the /var/rancid-2.3.6/bin/clogin I get an error: password file (/home/hph839/.cloginrc) does not exist.

This is my home directory.  I thought it would look for .cloginrc in /var/rancid-2.3.6/.cloginrc as I put it there per step 9) of the doc.

I notice in the code of /var/rancid-2.3.6/clogin the password file is set as follows:

# Password file

set password_file $env(HOME)/.cloginrc

I assume I could set this value to /var/rancid-2.3.6/.cloginrc but I think I this shouldn't be necessary.

I populated the LIST_OF_GROUPS in step 10 from an earlier version of Rancid as well as the password files in step 17.  Unfortunately the guy who installed the previous version is gone and he left no documentation.

Sorry for the length of this.  I appreciate any information you guys can share.

Thanks,

Pat