[rancid] cisco router logs

Alex DEKKER rancid at ale.cx
Sat Nov 12 10:40:16 UTC 2011

On 12.11.2011 00:12, shouldbe q931 wrote:
> I wondered if anyone had already written a script to extract the logs
> from a Cisco router and drop them into CVS

I'm going to speculate that the answer to this is "no they haven't",
because storing logs in CVS doesn't really make any sense, as far as I
can tell. Why would you care about what the logs looked like today vs.
last week or last month, as you would with a config? Each log entry is
timestamped so you can see when things happened. And there's already a
sensible, widely supported mechanism for off-router storage of logs,
syslog.

alexd