[rancid] Need some Help - F5's in RANCID

Chris Moody chris at siliconhotrod.com
Mon Jan 31 20:28:57 UTC 2011

I need a second set of eyes to help me figure out what I'm missing or
doing wrong.

I have a number of F5 LTM Load-Balancers that I'm trying to back up with
RANCID.    The trouble I'm running into is that they were backing up
fine for a short while, but have recently stopped backing up and
continue showing the following in the logs:
=====================================
Getting missed routers: round 4.
xxxx.yyyy.com: missed cmd(s): ls --full-time --color=never
/config/ssl/ssl.crt,ls --full-time --color=never /config/ssl/ssl.key
zzzz.yyyy.com: missed cmd(s): ls --full-time --color=never
/config/ssl/ssl.crt,ls --full-time --color=never /config/ssl/ssl.key

I've been debugging and have verified the following:
- I have valid and functioning credentials in the .cloginrc file
- I have the devices listed in a 'load-balancer' group's router.db file
with the keyword 'f5' and the flag 'up'
- I have tested the login via clogin  - works fine
    (I have run clogin with the '-c' command list that f5rancid
issues...and everything works fine)
- I have run f5rancid in debug mode - works fine
    (when I run this I see that all the commands run and see a "HIT
COMMAND" next to every command issued)

I am running version '2.3.2' (I have plans to upgrade to '2.3.6' soon)

Anyone run into this kind of behavior with F5's?

Any insights, hints, comments or criticisms welcome.
-Chris