[rancid] Distributed setup possible?

Simone Felici s.felici at mclink.eu
Wed Feb 23 11:54:57 UTC 2011

Hello to all!

I'm new to RANCID but it seems a very powerful tool.
I would like to set-up a distributed environment.
I'll describe my scenario:
I've one master server and some slave servers for monitoring pruposes. The master can reach all the
slaves via SSH directly, but the slaves can NOT reach the master, 'cause master it's located in a
private net. This why the master server monitors private networks and poll the slaves for
informations about monitored devices from slaves.
I would like add RANCID support on these servers. I've installed it using a simple guide (with CVS)
and there is no problem to install it on all servers. What I would to do is to use the master-server
as master repository for all configs. I could use some scripts too to copy what I need from the
slaves to the master but have no idea what to copy and how to merge it all.
Could someone help me in this or point me to some docs?
As written, I can reach the slaves from the master but not the master from slaves (firewall + nat).
If I could, I know I could use a remote CVS (slaves->master), but there is no routing.

Thanks for the support!

Simon