[rancid] recovering or examining old cisco configs?

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 22:25:25 UTC 2011

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011, Thomison, Lee wrote:

> We're using rancid with svn.  Is it possible (and easy) to examine a
> cisco config from an arbitrary time period ago?

As long as you were using rancid & svn within the arbitrary time in
question, yeah, that should be fine.

You just need to do a checkout with the right date, eg.

  sudo -u rancid svn checkout -r '{2011-02-02}' file:///var/lib/svn/rancid

I needed to run this as rancid (hence the sudo -u rancid) because the
archive is owned by the rancid user.  Depending how you've set things up,
you may need to do something similar.  The subversion side of it is fairly
simple though.

Gavin