[rancid] Curious Cisco ASA problem

Ian Murphy Ian.Murphy at populous.com
Fri Feb 4 20:57:05 UTC 2011

I'm running into some interesting behavior regarding my Cisco ASA 5520. The device is talking to my TACACS server for authentication just fine. Clogin doesn't want to finish all the way though. It's hanging at the enable prompt where all my other devices do not. Here's the output from the clogin:

rancid at kc-tacacs:~$ clogin kansascityASA5520
kansascityasa5520
spawn telnet kansascityasa5520
Trying 10.103.9.250...
spawn ssh -c 3des -x -l rancid kansascityasa5520
rancid at kansascityasa5520's password:
You are connected to:  kansascityASA5520.pop.local

Type help or '?' for a list of available commands.
kansascityASA5520> enable
Password: ********
Invalid password
Password: ********
Invalid password
Password: ********
Invalid password
Access denied.
kansascityASA5520>
Error: Check your Enable passwd

kansascityASA5520>

I gets connected just fine then drops to the unprivileged account.

I have tried to add a specific username and password for this device like this:

#add user kansascityASA5520* {user}
#add password kansascityASA5520* {password} {password}

But, that didn't work either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks
Ian Murphy

The information contained in this electronic communication, as well as in any attachments, may contain confidential or privileged information and may constitute non-public information, and is intended solely for use by the addressee(s). Any other use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of this electronic communication is strictly prohibited, may constitute an interference with Populous confidential business relationships and may be unlawful. If you received this communication in error, please notify me immediately and permanently delete the original and any electronic or printed copies of this electronic communication (including any attachments). Populous makes no representation regarding the absence of any virus in any attachment and expressly disclaims any responsibility for any damage suffered from the presence of a virus.