[rancid] Adding Scripts to Rancid

tudor negru negru_tudor at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 30 16:25:59 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm kinda new to RANCID but after installing it and giving it a go, I came to the conclusion it's a quite powerful tool.

I was going through some docs and saw that RANCID relies on Expect and PERL scripting. The thing is that I would want to write my own basic, very simple little script for a Nortel Option 11 C.
I am aware of the Nortel Meridian CLI commands and I've written some very simple Expect scripts for a CISCO router and they worked but I would like to write and integrate the Nortel script into Rancid.

Guys, where do I need to start? I don't really want to edit existing scripts to suit my new one, preferably I'd want to start off clean, from scratch since I'll be happy if I get even the simplest of scripts running (log into the device, get the time and date and log out) - I need to understand the structure, how do i get it ticking, connect the bits and pieces.

Would it be possible to share some light on the structure, which script should call which or where should I start?

Best Regards,

Negru Tudor Adrian