[rancid] what if a device audit fails?

Pete Perreault peter.perreault at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 16:00:02 UTC 2010

I have rancid 2.3.2 running successfully on fedora.  I have questions
related to what rancid does if a device audit fails to successfully
complete.  This may occur if the device is not reachable or if rancid's
credentials are not accepted.

I run rancid from cron with the following command.

0 22 * * 5,6 /usr/libexec/rancid/rancid-run

As you can see it is run twice a week, Friday and Saturday at 10pm.  When my
rancid logs indicate a device audit was not successfully completed,
subsequent log messages indicate that rancid attempts to audit all the
devices within the group one hour after the previous failure.  This
continues until the device audit is successful.

Is this in fact the default behavior?
Is there a way to change this behavior either permanently (config change) or
for the individual instance (kill a process?)?
How is this happening?  Is rancid, cron or something else making this
happen?

Thanks,

--
Pete